Code of conduct
The following are a set of guidelines by which Illustrators Ireland members are expected to abide:
- Illustrators Ireland members must endeavour to be proficient in the running of their businesses and act in an honorable and honest way. Members behaviour reflects on Illustrators Ireland membership as a whole.
- Illustrators Ireland provides a model terms and conditions document and an estimate form which members are encouraged to use. In any case, members should ensure that the licensing agreement between the illustrator and the client is clear to both parties and is confirmed in writing at the outset of a job. This can protect both the illustrator and the client in any given disagreement.
- Members shall always make sure that they are contactable in some way during the course of a job. Ideally, clients should be informed of any impending periods of unavailability.
- All information and correspondence between client and illustrator are confidential and should be treated as such, save in the case of a dispute.
- All members must ensure that their work is original.
- Members must ensure that they adhere to the delivery deadlines set out at the beginning of the job. The client should be consulted if there is any expectation that the delivery time will be exceeded.
- Members are expected to educate themselves about the principles of copyright, contract and licensing.
- Members must adhere to any licensing agreements entered into with their clients.
- Where the brief is loose and unspecific, the likelihood is that changes will be made at the roughs stage. Members should be agreeable to such changes when they are of a reasonable nature.
- Extra fees should be added to the final bill, only if significant changes are made to the brief.
- Members should not undertake unpaid speculative work. Of course, self-promotional work is necessary and doesn’t apply in this case.
- Members of Illustrators Ireland agree to indemnify Illustrators Ireland as an organisation, its directors, executive and all other members from any disagreement, arbitration or actions resulting from illegality, negligence, infringement of copyright or any other rights of any third party resulting from their actions. All materials created or supplied by Members remain their personal responsibility at all times.
Your Illustrators Ireland Portfolio
- Members should maintain their online portfolio and update them every 6 months AT LEAST! The more regularly you refresh your portfolio the more interesting it becomes for prospective clients!
Website News & Features
- Members should submit news or events relating to their work, and be open to participate in features or articles.
Promotion of Illustrators Ireland
- Members should promote the Illustrators Ireland website as best they can, including providing a link to illustratorsireland.com on their own website.
Website News & Features
- A core activity of Illustrators Ireland is the ongoing promotion of the illustratorsireland.com website. Therefore all Members are expected to submit news or events relating to their work to the Web Editor ON A REGULAR BASIS for inclusion on the website and on the Blog. Members should be open to participation in online features or articles to encourage the maximum possible number of visitors to the website and blog.